If you've been injured in a car accident, you might think it's a good idea to deal with the insurance companies yourself, without hiring a lawyer. Think twice before you make this decision because it could affect your case. We've seen so many people who struggle with the insurance companies, and worse, the insurance companies pressure them to sign settlement agreements.
It's harder for an attorney to represent your case after you have disclosed important information or signed agreements with insurance companies. So, here are the main reasons why you should allow a lawyer to talk to the insurance companies instead of taking this responsibility yourself.
Dealing with the Miami Insurance Companies Can Be Overwhelming
At The Law Offices of Sean M. Cleary, the first thing we do when we start representing you is investigate if the driver who was at fault is insured. When we bring a claim against the other driver, we're not necessarily seeking assets or money. Instead, we investigate if the driver at fault has insurance and we send a letter to the insurance company.
Sean Cleary advises his clients not to talk to anybody about the accident, except your lawyer. Don't talk with the insurance company if they call to find out what happened in the car accident or want to know how seriously injured you are.
In Florida, once you hire a lawyer, nobody is allowed to talk to you, insurance companies are only allowed to talk to your lawyer. When you hire us, we investigate your car accident case and you don't have to be worried about calls from:
- The other driver's insurance company
- Hospital calls
- Your own insurance company calling you
- You can just tell them to call us, we handle these calls for you
Involved in a Car Accident in Miami? You Might Fail to Access All Your Benefits
Many people don't know this, but in Florida, when you are involved in a car accident, you are first of all entitled to receive compensation from your own insurance company. You've already paid for the medical insurance that should cover the accident-related injuries by buying the policy for your car.
When you call us, we can help you cover your medical expenses, you don't have to let the insurance companies take advantage of you:
- Instead of using your medical insurance card at the hospital, you can tell the hospital you were involved in a car accident and give the name of your auto insurance company, which is the company that will pay your medical bills first. Our Miami-based car accident attorney can talk to your carrier and help you cover your medical expenses.
- In case of very serious car accidents, injured people are airlifted from the scene of the accident and transported to a hospital by helicopter or airplane. Sometimes, in these cases, medical insurance doesn't cover the cost of the flight. It's important to call us and get our lawyer involved as early as possible because you want to make sure your benefits are paying what they're supposed to.
Anything You Say Can Be Used Against You
Our lawyer finds that cases become complicated when a person involved in a car accident starts talking with the insurance company on the other side or even his or her own insurance company. This can lead to problems because the insurance company is taking a statement every time it's talking to our client on the phone. They are treating conversations like an interview they'll use against him or her later. People, usually, don't know that.
The dangerous thing is that if you don't hire a lawyer immediately after the accident, the insurance company will call you regularly. If you start talking to the insurance company, even if it's your insurance company, you could compromise your claim. The car insurance companies:
- Are taking down statements as you talk to them on the phone
- They record you
- Can, later on, use against you all the information you provide
- May take advantage of this situation and call you regularly
- May hold you responsible for an inconsistent statement if you change the initial details
- Can use your contradictory statements against you
- Can undermine your credibility and chances of getting rightful compensation
You're More Likely to Accept an Unfair Settlement Offer
One of the dangers people face when they start dealing with the insurance company in the absence of a lawyer is an early negotiation:
- The insurers will start the negotiation process soon after the car accident
- The insurers will offer you an amount of money that is usually lower than what you normally deserve
You may be tempted to accept that offer because you might not even be aware of how severe your injuries are and how much the treatment will cost in the future. It's very important to hire a lawyer so that the insurance company doesn't take advantage of you.
Involved in a Car Accident in Miami? We Can Help
Insurance companies have to deal with hundreds and thousands of personal injury claims each year.
Regardless of how moving or serious your story is, they won't treat you any differently from the rest of the cases in their queue.
You expect them to be fair but these companies are urged by the need to solve your case as soon as possible and spend as little as they can.
At The Law Offices of Sean M. Cleary, we specialize in car accident claims, and we are always ready to take on a new case.
We've seen too many people who reach out to a lawyer when it's too late.
We recommend you call as soon as possible and let us handle your claim. We have the necessary skills and experience that allow us to successfully negotiate with insurance companies and get the best settlements for you.