Here is how insurance covers hit-and-run accidents in Miami:
- Using your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance
- Using Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
Hit and run accidents are quite common in the state of Florida. Although many crashes involve parking lot collisions, there is still a considerable number of accidents that end up in fatalities or serious injuries that required hospitalization. In fact, there were 507,648 hit-and-run crashes from 2015 to 2019 that resulted in 1,037 fatalities. A large number of the fatalities occurring in hit and runs are pedestrians.
All motorists have the duty to stop and provide help to victims. If the victim dies as a result of a hit and run crash, this could have criminal consequences for the driver.
Even in the case of a crash or collision with an unattended vehicle:
- The driver must stop
- Make reasonable efforts to locate, identify and notify the owner of the second vehicle
- Or leave a note with their contact details
What Damages Can I Recover Following a Hit and Run Accident in Miami?
There are various types of damages hit and run victims can recover. Insurance companies will usually pay for all these damages as long as they are reasonable. If you have been injured in a hit and run, you may be entitled to monetary compensation that covers:
- Medical expenses including:
- Hospital bills
- Surgery costs
- Long-term medical care
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Present and future lost wages. These damages are awarded in case the accident resulted in time off work for the victim or they lost the ability to work as a result of the accident
- Pain and suffering. These damages are established based on the type of the injury, the pain associated with the injury, and the way the injury will affect the victim in the future
- Punitive damages
Unfortunately, not all hit and run victims enjoy a fair and full settlement, although they are legally entitled to it. Giving a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster or signing a fast settlement before consulting an experienced car accident attorney is often a costly mistake.
It is highly important to refrain from giving statements to insurance companies, as you may unknowingly minimize your chance for a fair settlement. At The Law Offices of Sean M. Cleary, we can accurately analyze the circumstances of your case and advise you on the best course of action, following a hit and run accident. There is a series of documents you should bring along on your consultation:
- Copy of statements given to the insurance company
- Copy of the accident report
- Copy of your insurance policy
- Copy of your medical records
- Copy of your pay records
- Copy of your psychological reports
- Evidence of insurance premium payments
- Pictures taken at the scene of the accident
- Photos of your injuries
- The other party's name and phone number
- Tickets related to the accident
How Can Miami Car Accident Lawyer Sean M. Cleary Help?
Hit and run accident victims in Miami need a personal injury attorney to file a claim and pursue compensation. We offer quality legal representation and aggressive advocacy to help our clients recover damages. Call us for a free consultation and representation in your case.
If you or a loved one have been a victim of a hit and run accident in Florida, call us as soon as possible and bring along all available documents regarding your own insurance policy.
We know how frustrating it is not to be able to recover damages following a no-fault auto accident, so we do our best to help injured clients. For more details on your legal rights call us today.