Can you get a larger settlement when in a car accident with a company vehicle?

If you were driving a company vehicle and were within the scope of your employment, the damages will be paid through workers’ compensation and will usually amount to less than through a regular claim. If you were hit by a company vehicle, the company could be held liable.

In case the injured victim was driving a company vehicle at the time of the auto accident, meaning they were on duty, the damages will be paid through worker's compensation, which is usually less than how much a regular accident claim would bring.

If, however, the victim was hit by a company vehicle, different laws will apply. If an employee injures someone while acting within the scope of his employment, the company can be held liable, as companies are responsible for the negligent behavior of their employees.

The company might also be held liable if the employee was not on duty at the time of the accident but was still driving a company vehicle.

For plaintiffs, this is usually an advantage as there is another entity that can pay damages. Typically, the insurance provider will deal with the company directly and pay the commercial accident settlement, provided that the driver was adequately using the vehicle when the collision occurred.

Following a commercial vehicle insurance claim, an investigation usually takes place. As soon as the insurance company finalizes the thorough examination, you will receive a counter-offer to your payment demand. When an agreement is not reached, you may file a lawsuit.

Car accidents involving company vehicles, especially larger ones, can settle for up to hundreds of thousands of dollars, with some even reaching tens of millions, all depending on certain factors to consider, such as:

  • Incidental culpability
  • Severity of injuries
  • Medical expenses
  • Property damage
  • Past and future loss of earnings

If you are a Miami resident in a similar situation and need legal help, do not hesitate to call The Law Offices of Sean M. Cleary.

Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided on this site is not formal legal advice, also the site does not allow you to form an attorney-client relationship.