Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: We are fully operational and remote, we are available over the phone 8am-5pm Monday-Friday, available over email and able to provide services to our existing and future clients. More FAQs »

Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM
English or Spanish


Following a House Fire Incident, When Should I Hire a Lawyer?

After a house fire, a lawyer can get you the maximum compensation from the person or company whose negligence caused the accident. Lawyers don’t always need to go to court; they can negotiate settlements. Lawyers can also help settle disputes about the value and the validity of the insurance claim.

Not every house fire case has to go to trial. If the house fire was caused by the negligence of another person or company, you might want to hire an attorney who will help you obtain the right compensation. Usually, attorneys can negotiate settlements with the party at fault, without litigating the case. Therefore, a lawsuit is not always necessary.

You might also need a lawyer when there is a dispute about the value and the validity of the insurance claim.

Although almost all homeowners policies include fire coverage, there are situations when you might have to deal with a denial, undervaluation, significant delay, or other problem with your fire claim.

Here is what is advisable to do in case of a house fire:

  • Inform your insurance company as soon as you can.
  • Get a copy of your insurance policy and read it carefully.
  • Make a list of everything that was affected by the fire, describe every item, and indicate its price.
  • After the fire department will allow you to enter your home again, try to find all documents and valuable records.
  • Keep the receipts for all out-of-the-pocket expenses that are related to the loss of your home.
  • Your insurance company will try to pay you the minimum amount possible.
  • Do not sign any documents from your insurance representatives without consulting your lawyer.
  • Contact your credit card company. Report credit cards that were lost in the fire and request their replacement.
  • Click this link and find out details about how to replace vital documents such as:
    • Driver's license
    • Tax returns
    • Vehicle registration
    • Social security card
    • Bank records
    • Passport

A personal injury attorney will investigate the circumstances of the incident, find who is responsible for your injuries and losses, and establish liability. For a free consultation, call our Miami based office.

For questions and free legal advice to help individuals please call us

Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided on this site is not formal legal advice, also the site does not allow you to form an attorney-client relationship.