What Can I Do After Being Hit By An Underinsured Driver?

After being hit by an underinsured driver in Florida, damages will be covered by your insurance policy. You'll have to make a claim to your insurance company and you can sue the at-fault driver for additional damages. Rely on the sound representation available at the Law Offices Of Sean M. Cleary.

Auto accidents are stressful events, especially when you suffer due to another's negligence. The Law Offices Of Sean M. Cleary is committed to helping restore your peace of mind.

In Florida, the system used for auto insurance is a no-fault one.

  • Your PIP covers you and any passengers in case of an accident, no matter who was at fault.
  • If you have an underinsured motorist coverage, you have better chances of recovering all your damages.
  • The first thing you must do is to make a claim against your own insurance company up to the limit of your coverage.

If you do not have underinsured motorist coverage, you were seriously injured, and you believe you can recover from the driver that was negligent, he or she is the person you need to sue.

However, before you decide to sue the driver, there are some things you need to remember.

  • The first thing is the fact that a person who has insufficient insurance might be a person you can't recover from. To cover the damage done to you and your car, the person who hit you should have some valuable assets. Otherwise, you are simply knocking at the wrong door.
  • The second thing is the fact that a lawsuit can take a long time and you might end up waiting weeks, even months to collect the damage recovery from the other driver.
  • Finally, keep in mind the fact that you could settle amicably by only having a conversation about insurance policies. You could resolve the situation between the two of you.

Suing may not be the best option if you want to recover the damages, collect the insurance, get well, and repair your car fast.

In case you find yourself in a similar situation call our Miami based office at 305.416.9805.

For questions and free legal advice to help individuals please call us

Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided on this site is not formal legal advice, also the site does not allow you to form an attorney-client relationship.